|Boys Sports||20 May 2009||
|Ranked baseball teams losing early by Scott Farrell|
There a precept in high school baseball that one-game playoffs are a great equalizer. The area round playoffs proved that true, at least this week, as three of the top 10 teams in the state rankings lost in the UIL-mandated one-game playoffs Tuesday. Two of those losses were by one run, and two other top-10 teams escaped by a single run.
That makes four of the 10 teams ranked in the coaches' poll at the end of the regular season that are done for the season after only two rounds, each loss coming against a lower-seeded team. Here is the most recent top 10 and their fortunes thus far:
THSBCA Coaches' Poll:
1. Corpus Christi Moody (29-1) -- District 30 champs cruising along; takes on Uvalde this weekend
2. Corpus Christi Calallen (30-2) -- hasn't been scored on in the playoffs yet; now faces Alice
3. Buda Hays (26-2) -- out of playoffs after 5-4 loss to Little Cypress-Mauriceville.
4. Austin Lake Travis (29-3) -- District 25 champs still alive; faces Hutto this weekend.
5. Castroville Medina Valley (23-4) -- out of playoffs after 3-2 loss to Alice, which now plays Calallen.
6. Mesquite Poteet (24-3) -- salvaged a one-run win (6-5) over Whitehouse; No. 10 Texas High next
7. Waco Midway (25-6) -- out of playoffs after 2-1 loss to Hallsville
8. Fort Worth Southwest (21-2) -- lost to Crowley in playoffs' opening round
9. Texarkana Texas (22-5) -- beat Colton Cain and Waxahachie 3-0 on Tuesday; No. 6 Poteet next
10. Rosenburg Lamar Consolidated (20-30) -- last 2 wins have been by 10-0 and 14-0 scores; Houston Waltrip next