The yellow ribbons are on the trees, and Thanksgiving week is upon us. That means two things - plenty of turkey, and Scots football on the weekend.
HP's 49-14 win Friday advanced it three rounds deep in the playoffs for a fourth consecutive season and the 28th time in the program's history. The Scots are now 15-1 all-time in area-round playoff games and have won 15 in a row in the UIL-designated 'area round' that started in 1982. In second-round playoff games during their playoff history, the Scots improved to 28-9.
The win will give HP the chance to play in Arlington's two-year-old Cowboys Stadium for the first time facing the winner between Whitehouse and Mesquite Poteet. HP is 12-14-1 all-time in third-round playoff games and has lost in this round the past two seasons.
Other notes from Friday's wins:
Is there something magical about seven touchdowns? HP has scored 49 points in four of its last five games, all wins over McKinney North (49-0), Rockwall-Heath (49-21), McKinney (49-24), Frisco Centennial (49-7) and Hillcrest (49-14).
* The Scots' current 12-game win streak ties for the sixth-longest in the program's history along with six other teams. One more win will tie the 2003 team with 13 straight. HP won 26 consecutive games spanning the 2005 and 2006 seasons.
* HP's 12 straight wins also ties for ninth on the all-time unbeaten streaks.
* The Scots are 12-0 for only the ninth time in school history , matching teams from 2007, 2005, 2002, 1993, 1983, 1980, 1977, 1976 and 1943. The 1945 state champion team was 11-0-1 after 12 games.
* The Scots extended their Highlander Stadium win streak to 63 straight with the win. HP has not lost at home since the 1998 season.
* HP's 49 points tied four other teams for the 10th-highest total in a playoff game in the school's history, and matched last week's point total against Frisco Centennial. Five of the 14 highest-scoring games have come within the last three seasons. The list:
MOST POINTS SCORED IN A PLAYOFF GAME
Pts. vs. Opponent, Year, Result
71 vs. Samuell, 2001, W 71-20
69 vs. McKinney, 2008, W 69-37
62 vs. Greenville, 2001, W 62-41
62 vs. Hillcrest, 1993, W 62-21
59 vs. Marshall, 2005, W 59-0
59 vs. McKinney North, 2005, W 59-17
56 vs. South Oak Cliff, 2009, W 56-20
56 vs. McKinney, 2009, W 56-38
51 vs. Sulphur Springs, 2002, W 51-14
49 vs. Hillcrest, 2010, W 49-14
49 vs. Frisco Centennial, 2010, W 49-7
49 - three other times
* HP's 477 points scored this season now ranks ninth on the all-time list for points in a season. Next up on the list is the 517 points scored by the 2003 Scots, and the 534 points scored by the 2002 Scots. Each mark above this team on the list has come since 2000.
* HP's 98 total points in its two playoff games is already the 11th-highest total in the school's playoff history. The 2007 team that reached the state title game scored 248 points to set the school record for one season's playoffs. The Scots' next score will move them into at least 10th place, matching the 1977 team's 100 points.